Monday, May 4, 2009

Dare to be Drug Free!!

Ever since elementary school, we have been taught not to use drugs. If my memory serves me correctly, in the 5th grade we even had a drug free program that all the classes took. It was called DARE which stands for Drug Abuse Resistance Education. DARE is a police-officer led series of classroom lessons that teaches children, elementary through high school, how to resist peer pressure and live drug free lives!

On August 25, 1991 a bill was filed within the House, relating to drug tests for candidtaes for and holders of certain state and district offices. Why hasn't this bill been passed?! I think it is a very reasonable and good bill. When we go to apply for a new job and get offered a position, most of those places make us do a drug test. The same should go for these candidates. This is just another job. Before they got nominated or even elected, they were still a citizen and resident of Texas just like the rest of us. The rules apply to everybody, or do they?? If we have to take drug tests, I feel that the people we elect to represent us should have to do the same as well. Nobody wants a sorry ass governor that gets high on the cool.

There is a quote I'm pretty sure you have heard of: "Separate but Equal". Just because these people might have their government jobs sitting high up, while us citizens sit at the bottom busting our asses, does not mean that they should not have to do the same things that we have to. It is standard prcedure to be given a drug test when entering a new job or even having random ones at that. I don't see any harm in taking the test. If these candidates have nothing to hide and aren't on drugs then I don't see the harm in passing this bill.

HB4
D.A.R.E

2 comments:

  1. I fully agree with Ms. Jazz that those at the top should be treated the same as those at the bottom, but since I don't agree that those at the bottom should have to be regularly subjected to drug tests I disagree with her overall message.

    I have a problem with testing for drugs, because I feel that the testing method is seriously biased. Marijuana stays in a person's system much longer than say cocaine (or many other hard drugs) making it much easier to detect. Personally I would rather hire someone that smoked a little marijuana every now and then opposed to someone who dabbled with the harder drugs that don't always get detected in a drug test.

    The high profile instances of politicians with drug addictions have usually involved an addiction to prescription meds (that can be just as dangerous as many street drugs), but standard drug testing doesn't pick up on those meds. Alcohol is another drug that leaves the system relatively fast. I personally don't want an alcoholic representing me in government, but a drug test probably won't catch that problem.

    There are certain cases where I am in full support of drug tests. I know that Capital Metro gives their employees a drug AND alcohol test at the beginning of every shift. Their staff is responsible for the lives of hundreds of people everyday, so I can see how this is a reasonable precaution.

    While politicians may have our fate in their hands, one drug test given at the beginning of their term does nothing to convince me that they are in any way drug free. I believe all we can do as a voting public is elect those that we feel are best qualified, that have a proven track record and then cross our fingers and hope that they are in good moral standing and are drug-free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reading ms.jazz blog about how she has a class for a drug lessen so they don’t have to you any drugs, I have to agree with this blog that every school need this kind of class. The bill that have been written at the time it should have to pass both side because drug I one of the most problem in every country that they have. Most people do a drug test for work and other purpose but almost have of the people they will not pass the test. They might say it the people who make the test are wrong. So I believe that if that bill has passed is kind of problem will not happen and people want have to worry about felling the drug test or not.

    ReplyDelete